Monday, September 28, 2009

My House Guests


This is long over due. I did not have time to write about my friends who looked after my house in Chennai while I was in the USA and gone for a month from Chennai. I was away from the end of June to the end of July to renew my Indian Visa, and spend some time with my family. To be precise, I returned to Chennai on July 28, and the story of my house guests begin here.

I arrived at Chennai after about 20 hours of travel, including four- hours of waiting at Brussels Airport to get my connection to Chennai. My Jet Air flight arrived Chennai Airport at 23:30 hours and by the time I was cleared through customs and immigration formalities,it was almost 1:00 am. I took a taxi and arrived at home at about 2:00 am on July 29. I was exhausted!

I carried my heavy luggage upstairs to my apartment and unlocked the door. As I entered into my house and switched on the lights, I found about a dozen of Cockroaches running all around to welcome me, the real owner of the house! Before I could bring my luggage inside the house, I decided to respond to the warm welcome. I took a broom from the kitchen and went after my house guests, one by one and managed to kill about a half dozen of them. The rest managed to save their lives by hiding in some corners that I could not find.

It was an interesting experience. Here I was, early in the morning just having arrived from the United States, exhausted, and in a very hot and humid apartment ( Chennai is very hot and the apartment was locked for a month with all the windows shut), and the first thing I do is go on a killing spree!

After my mission was accomplished, I was laughing to myself for what I just did. Running all over the house to kill my house guests who lived here for a month and welcomed me when I returned from an enjoyable and relaxing vacation!

Sorry, I was too tired to take pictures of my dead house guests!

No comments: